Homemade Baked Mac-n-Cheese Tutorial

My mother-in-law recently let me borrow a cookbook that her mother had passed down to her. It is copyrighted in 1937 and is full of recipes from my MIL's grandmother. While reading through the pages (I read cookbooks like anyone else would read a novel), I found a recipe card for homemade Baked Macaroni and Cheese. I've never made my own...let me rephrase that...I've never made my own successfully- until this recipe. I made it in my enameled cast-iron pot which went straight from stovetop to oven, but you can always pour the Mac-n-Cheese in a baking dish to crisp the top.

Homemade Baked Mac-n-Cheese

Ingredients

1 pkg (8oz) elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cups milk (I used whole)
2 cups (8oz) Cheddar cheese, shredded (shred it yourself from a block- makes it creamier than bagged)
1 large tomato, thickly sliced (I omitted)
Seasoned bread crumbs


Step 1

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook macaroni as package label directs, drain. Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan. Remove from heat, stir in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth.

Step 2




Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer mixture for 1 minute. It will become thick and coat the spoon. Remove from heat.

Step 3




Stir in the cheese, until smooth. Add the cooked macaroni, mix well.

Step 4


Pour into a baking dish, arrange tomato slices over top, sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs.

Step 5





Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Comments

Looks really good! We love mac and cheese!

Popular Posts