Orange Chicken (FREEZER MEAL)

We don't eat a lot of Asian-inspired meals. I don't know why. They're delicious. I guess it's because I don't really have any experience cooking it. I really love Orange Chicken and I was desperate for a little Asian kick in my freezer cooking. 

I chose to cook this in the slow-cooker but you could cook the defrosted meat in a skillet, add the sauce, and heat through.

Orange Chicken

Ingredients

3-4 boneless chicken breasts, chopped into 1 inch chunks
1/3 cup flour
1/2 Tbs salt
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
3 Tbs ketchup
3 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate (little or no pulp)
4 Tbs brown sugar
A pinch of red pepper flakes (1/8 of a tsp)- you can always add more after it's cooked

Step 1



In a bowl, combine the raw chicken and flour. Toss to coat. Pour into a gallon-sized Ziploc bag.

Step 2



In a small bowl, combine the orange juice concentrate, salt, balsamic vinegar, ketchup, red pepper flakes, and brown sugar. Pour sauce into a quart-sized Ziploc bag. Seal.

Step 3

Place the bag of sauce into the gallon bag of raw chicken. Seal and freeze flat.

Step 4

To reheat, take the meal out of the freezer the night before and let the chicken and sauce thaw in the fridge. Once thawed, pour the raw chicken into the slow-cooker. Pour the sauce over the chicken and cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 2-3 hours. Serve over rice.

Comments

I made this the other day and it was awesome! Thanks for the great recipe!!
Anonymous said…
This was way too much orange for our taste! I have another one in my freezer that we have to eat sometime. Any suggestions on how to doctor it up so it's not so orangy??
Anonymous said…
Way too orange for our taste too. Some of us ate it because we added a ton of soy sauce, others opted just to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. We have loved some of your other recipes though.
Anonymous said…
Here is the sauce recipe that I use. It is a Panda copy cat. I have tried so many that are too orange for me, and I LOVE orange chicken. This is an absolute favorite and tastes the same if not extremely close to Panda's!

Sauce
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced water chestnuts
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1 rounded teaspoon chopped green onion
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
5 teaspoons corn starch
2 teaspoons arrowroot
Anonymous said…
A very simple Basic teriyaki sauce

I use a recycle mayonnaise jar plastic lid
pour half way sugar and rest shoyu (soy sauce)
I like to use low salt if do in a ban or oven.
then i use minced garlic 2-3 tbsp and 2 tbsp fresh grated ginger, i don't peel it. some like it just smash garlic and pound the ginger, get all the juice and add to the jar shake well.
place in fridge will last 6 months more just never lasted that long. marinate in a plastic bag few hours. only takes a little sauce I've made it in small relish jars to for others.

my family likes to do 1/2 brown sugar and 1/2 white. the brown sugar is a meat tenderizer will make any meat soft in 24-48 hours then grill. charcoal or wood the best

Popular Posts