Breakfast Burritos and Beef Pot Pies (FREEZER MEAL)

We just put the girls to bed for the night and I am enjoying some homemade ice-cream, again. Yes, if you read  my post from two days ago, you'll notice this post started with the same sentence. I'm starting to see a potential flaw in the homemade ice-cream sans machine idea. Well, at least I caught it early...

Today was another freezer meal day. Not because I need any more meals in my freezer, goodness knows...


I drank two cups of coffee this morning and that always seems to send me into overdrive. One cup- I'm awake, happy, almost giddy...two cups- a spotless house, freezer meals, and heart palpitations...it's a fine line.

So I didn't do much. I made 20 or so muffins of varying flavors and 8 breakfast burritos.


Breakfast Burritos and Muffin Marathon


I used the cheap Martha White muffin mixes because I got them for 30 cents a piece at Kroger during their sale combined with my coupons. Good enough for me!

For the muffins, preheat oven to 400, mix the muffins according to the directions, pour into greased muffin tins, bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Remove the muffins from the pan and allow to cool. Then wrap each one in plastic wrap, put in labeled Ziploc bags and freeze. To reheat, let thaw on counter or nuke the unwrapped muffin in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.

For the burritos: (While the muffins are cooking)

1 pack (8) burrito sized tortillas
10 eggs, whisk with 1/4 cup milk & 1/4 tsp salt & a pinch of pepper, scramble
1lb cooked breakfast sausage, or cooked bacon, if you so wish
Cheddar cheese
Green onions


I like to lay out my burritos on my kitchen island and portion out the eggs and bacon evenly between the tortillas. Top with cheese and green onions.



Roll the burritos, folding in the sides. Wrap in wax paper and then plastic wrap. Put in labeled Ziploc bag and freeze.

To reheat, remove the plastic wrap and place the wax paper covered burrito on a microwave safe plate. Microwave on high for 1 1/2- 2 minutes. Serve with salsa (but only if you want to, not trying to pressure anybody).
 
Then for dinner tonight, I reheated one of the Beef Pot Pies I made earlier in the week. It was awesome!! I made the pie crust from scratch. This is a bit of work but totally worth it. Then again, I wouldn't have done that if I had some refrigerated pie crust in my house the night I made these, so either way works. The "homemade crust" was totally because I was desperate.

Beef Pot Pies

2 "small loaf" tinfoil pans
3 cups stew beef (I found a pack for CHEAP in the "Market Special" AKA "Please buy this meat before it turns" section...it still had a week until it's expiration date and as long as you freeze or cook it that day, you're fine).
1/2 container of chopped mushrooms
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup of flour
2 1/2 cups beef stock
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 10oz bag frozen mixed vegetables



Cook the mushrooms, beef, and onion in the butter, until meat is cooked through. Then add all the other ingredients and cook until bubbly and thickened, stirring frequently. Season with cajun seasoning (like I did) or salt/pepper. Once it's nice and thick, turn off the burner and let cool a bit.


Once cooled, pour into the small loaf pans (pictured here are two beef and two chicken pot pies)...I did the exact same thing for the chicken, only I used, uh, ya know...chicken. This recipe makes two beef pot pies.

Now at this point you can use store bought refrigerated pie dough ( I totally would have) or you can make your own...here's my recipe:

Place steel blade in food processor. Add 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour; 1 cup butter, cut up; and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover; process with on/off turns until most of mixture resembles cornmeal but a few larger pieces remain. With processor running, quickly add 1/3 cup cold water through feed tube. Stop processor when all water is added; scrape sides. Process with 2 on/off turns. Remove from bowl; shape into a ball. Divide in half. If needed, wrap and chill until easy to handle. (Makes just enough to cover 4 pot-pies).

Cover each pan with crust. Cut a slit in the top. Wrap in tinfoil and freeze (label the tinfoil B for beef, C for Chicken).


To reheat, place frozen pot pie on baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees with tinfoil on. Remove tinfoil and bake for another 30 minutes until crust browns and internal temp reads 165 degrees.

Comments

Misty Makes said…
found you from Pinterest. I made the breakfast burritos last night and they were soo good. My 4yo helped by sprinkling the cheese on. I'm going to make chicken pot pies later in the week. I've gotta fill my freezer for when my baby comes in June. So thank you for providing all the info and recipes on freezer cooking.
Yes, I stocked my freezer when my second baby was due and it was a lifesaver! Another great reason to keep freezer meals handy is when friends have babies or get sick...it's easy to grab a few dinners and drop them off. I bet your 4 year old is excited for the new baby! Congrats!
Anonymous said…
Is the above recipe for one pot pie? If I make two do I need to double?
Anonymous said…
How many do the pot pies serve?
Crystal said…
I cut up a pork roast into small bite size portions, cook them with a bit of veg oil until browned, then put in about a cup to two cups of salsa and simmer until the pork is tender and most of the liquid has cooked out. Then use this for my breakfast burritos with eggs and o'brien potatoes and cheddar cheese. My family loves these and so easy to make ahead and have them in the freezer ready to go each morning.

Popular Posts